You may have known that the late Vaclav Havel was a lifelong fan of Frank Zappa. It’s perhaps not coincidental that the house-band of Havel’s Velvet Revolution, Prague’s own Plastic People of the Universe, took their name from a Frank Zappa song. (This is a good item, by the way, in today’s Rolling Stone on the connections between Havel, Zappa and the Plastic People).
I spoke today with Paul Wilson, who translated many of Havel’s writings from Czech into English. I asked him to fill me in on one thing he knew about Havel’s relationship with Zappa.
- My Bout With Malaria
- Notes from a Sunny Boston
- La fiction pulpe de Gerard de Villiers
- My Last Days of Disco
- Reporting Mistakes, Recording Mistakes
- Three Tales of the Leadership Crisis in Africa
- Honk 2012, Saturday, October 6, 2012
- The Band Really Was on the Run: McCartney in Lagos
- Peace Corps Days, Morocco, circa Chris Stevens